With a drop in temperatures forecast, we understand from Westminster City Council that extensive preparations have been made. There is a full salt warehouse in Alperton holding 1,500 tonnes of rock salt. More will be ordered as required.
· Over 20 tonnes of bagged white salt and specialist corrosion-inhibiting de-icer (for schools, estates, footbridges and council properties) are available along with:
· 7 carriageway gritting vehicles, able to each distribute 8 tonnes of salt.
· 5 smaller vehicles for mechanically gritting the pavements and segregated cycleways.
· Almost 200 on-street salt bins across the City for sweepers to use in gritting pavements.
· 3 weather sensors, giving us real-time road surface temperatures.
“Keep warm and safe’, says Councillor Paul Dimoldenberg.